This is the recipe for zucchini moussaka, similar to eggplant, which I usually prepare at home.
INGREDIENTS for 8 people approx.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 medium potatoes
- 400 gr of minced beef (or half pork and veal)
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- Half an onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- salt, pepper, and nutmeg
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Grated cheese for gratin
- A bowl of béchamel sauce (see recipe HERE) prepared with half a liter of milk, 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 of flour.
- We start preparing the meat for our filling. Sauté the chopped onion and garlic on a bottom of oil in a casserole dish. When they are fried, add the meat and crush it with the fork while stirring. Salpimentamos put the nutmeg and add the tomato. As soon as the sauce is reduced a little and the meat is done, we separate from the heat.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into thin slices (about half a cm). We do the same with zucchini (it is not necessary to peel them if the skin is clean and forms). We fry them separately without getting too brown a lot, they should have a ‘candied’ effect, fried and tender on low heat. We let them drain on paper towels.
- In a baking dish, we put the potatoes in the base. I like to add some grated cheese on top, to your liking. Cover with the meat and then with the zucchini moussaka slices. We ended up bathing with the béchamel and grated cheese. Gratin under the grill until the surface is golden brown and serve hot.
TIPS AND COMMENTS
If you want to lighten the recipe you can sauté the zucchini Moussaka or tender it in the microwave or by steaming it. You can also saute or cook the potatoes, although the result loses flavor.
You may also be interested: Zucchini Boats 5 Low-Carb Recipes