The shrimp and sausage gumbo recipe is a kind of soup or stew, usually made with seafood, poultry, sausages and other meats, which is served on white rice and seasoned in the Cajun style. It has a balance of acid and spicy flavors and is native to African lands, although it is considered a traditional American dish. This one has shrimp and sausages, one of the favorite combinations when it comes to gumbo. Just try to understand why you eat so much in Louisiana and other parts of North America.
Shrimp and sausage gumbo recipe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ tablespoon all-purpose wheat flour
- 1 small onion
- 1 chopped medium green pepper
- 2 sliced celery stalks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 400 grams of sausage cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- Coarse salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 450 grams of tomato puree
- 1 liter of chicken broth
- 500 grams of shrimp, peeled and peeled
- 3 chopped chives
- Cooked white rice, to serve
- In a large, deep skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter and then add the oil and flour. Cook, constantly stirring, until it has a dark caramel color, about 10 minutes.
- Add onions, peppers, and celery. Stir until softened, approximately five minutes. Add garlic and sausage, season with cajun dressing, salt, and pepper. Add the bay leaf, tomato puree, chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until it thickens, occasionally stirring, about an hour.
- In the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the shrimp. Once the shrimp is pink and cooked, rectify the seasoning.
- Add the scallion, reserving some pieces to decorate.
- Serve a tablespoon on top of white rice.
You may also be interested: Easy Zucchini noodles with shrimp Recipe